Sunday, December 6, 2009

Broadway...?

I have always dreamed about being on broadway. When I go to see shows in NYC, I get chills that cover my body %26amp; I watch in awe of the hardwork, talent and energy that the stage evokes and portrays for the audience. I not only enjoy watching broadway shows, but also I like to perform in local shows. I am a grand fan of show tunes, and hopefully one day, I will be able to sing some of these songs with the most talented people in NYC (broadway performers).But as much as I love theater, the stage, productions, performing.. I do not want fame %26amp; strongly dislike competition. So, I would not want to go and audition in the city for commercials and such.My questions are: how can I make it to broadway without fame? If anyone out there has ever performed on broadway, what advice and experience can you share with me? How can I achieve my dream and still remain a normal person? How can I work my way up to becoming worthy of the broadway stage? What else can you share with me about broadway? Thanks!



Broadway...?performing art center



You don't necessarily NEED fame to get to Broadway, but you need talent, you have to be passionate, you have love what you're doing...and you have to live for competition. If you don't like the competition, don't do it! You'll never make an audition if you can't handle the competition.



If you don't have fame, you're going to need experience. Start off Broadway first and if you can make it there, you can make it on the Great White Way. (A wise producer once told me that all of the talent was off Broadway, anyway.) When you feel that you are ready to jump on a Broadway stage (I know you probably feel like you can now, but just humor me), go to open casting calls. They use these for major productions. 'Wicked' had theirs in Chicago in late May, 'Rent' advertises theirs on Playbill.com. I'm sure you can find more on sites like Broadwayworld.com and Playbill.com, too.



About the Equity card, you don't need that, either. It's like actormyk said, if you attain a job in an Equity run theatre (AKA, Broadway) or with an Equity run company, you automatically become Equity so long as you hold an Equity job and Equity deems you 'worthy' of attaining the card and/or you build up point towards the card. Basically, land a spot in the theatre through an open audition and you become Equity. If that's wrong, I know from experience that it's not far off and I was talking with some other actors who were trying DESPERATELY to explain it to me in theatrical terms that I understood, but we were speaking two completely different languages and what one of us said the other one just stared, smiled and nodded. The downside to not being Equity and going to an audition? You have to wait...and wait...and wait until all of the members of Equity have auditioned before you can go and actually show the auditioners (maybe not a word, but the word I use) what you've got. Check out the Actor's Equity web site for more on that. It's very helpful and once you become Equity they post equity auditions on the site.



You want to know how to still be normal? That's not tough to answer. You're still you no matter what you do and you have to remember where you came from and who you really are. I have a great family who when I forget myself and get a diva complex, kick me back in gear until I feel about two inches tall and they make me build myself up again. You probably have people like that in your life who would be more than willing to tell you that you have forgotten yourself and your place.



Oh, and Broadway does NOT mean fame in this day in age. You're a normal person to everyone even after they've seen your show. There are a few die-hard fans who only know Broadway (forget the movies, these people do not go to the movie theater, 'theatre' is spelled 'theatre and if it is not it is spelled incorrectly, and ten dollars to watch a bunch of people on a flat screen is so un-cool that they'd rather shell out the dough), who get star struck and forget themselves and get giddy in the presence of their favorite Broadway actor or actress. Most people are pretty much ignorant in the world of Broadway and just sort of shun all of the stagedoorers (again, not a word unless you are are me). I've been walking down the street on my off days and seen the fans lining up outside of the theatres after a matin茅e show or even after the late night show and heard star struck tourists asking excitedly why there's a crowd. If I answer them they usually look disappointed, say 'That entire crowd is waiting for THAT?' and roll their eyes before walking away. Makes you kind of angry, really.



My best advice is go for it. If you persevere you can do anything. Just because you have to wait tables to pay the rent or you get told by someone that you would have to lose eight sizes before they would even think of casting you, or you think you did horribly at an audition doesn't mean you have to quit. You might even find something you like more than acting while you are trying to get to where you want to be.



Broadway...?theatre tickets opera theater



It would be difficult to reach Broadway without a small degree of fame because you will first have to get your Equity card. In order to do that, you will have to perform with an Equity theatre for a year acquiring 1 point per week. In order to work for an Equity theatre, I'm going to assume that you're good enough to have gotten some leading roles along the way. It might not be fame in the same sense that Barbra Streisand has to handle fame, but I don't see anyone "sneaking" on to a Broadway stage by working their way all the way there in choruses. Fame has to do with how YOU handle it. I have had people stop me and say "Omigod! It's Petruchio!" or "Lord Goring, I presume?" and while it is gratifying to be remembered for these portrayals on stage, it is nothing that greatly alters my life.
You are still young. You still have a lot of time to become one of the best! People know that you are great and if you work hard and dedicate your life to theater, you can get to broadway. However, these people on broadway have been rejected many times before. Sometimes you wont get the part you want, or a part at all. These people try so hard. Even if you try really hard, there will be a person who trys harder. You have to be strong. To be able to re-build yourself, when you break.



If you want to be big, you are going to be noticed, asked to sign autographs, and take pictures with people you dont know. You wont be a normal person. You cant help that. There are people just like you waiting for the stars to come out, waiting to meet them. That could be you, a star. Even though that isnt what you want, it is apart of the theater package.



Broadway has its pros and cons. Its pros are the magic it gives off, the amazing feeling you gain watching a show and preforming in a show. The cons are even if you work your butt off, sometimes someone else works harder. Fame is part of the package.



Good luck! I mean that with passion and hope for you in the future!
You have answered your own questions. If you do not like competition - never mind the art about fame - you will never get to the level needed for Broadway. There are thousands of poeple who THRIVE on competition - and THEY are scrambling for even the smallest part - aend many do not achieve it.



You will not have to worry about fame. Strive for satisfaction a nd enjoyment. Pursue whatever career will give you personal and financial satisfaction - and then perform in local amateur companies. Abandon the idea of *I bet I could be on Broadway part-time*, as so many others on these lists have asked - they are delusional. Take vocal lesson, and perhaps take some electives in college - beside the requirements of whatever you are REALLY majoring in - in theater.



I am a professional classical musician. I also work out some. I am never going to the Olympics, nor would anyone even choose me for a team. I do it because I like it, and it is good for me. You situation is similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment